Game Reviews (steam): Long Live the Queen


This is a story book style game, with a bit of an rpg and strategy element to it. The art is of an anime style, and you can even change your character's outfits (which affect her stats) so the art is interactive. I had a lot of fun with this game, and found it to be kind of addicting at first. That is... until I died about a dozen times. Then my fun turned to frustration and I eventually stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of fun out of this game, especially for its price. I don't think it will be a game that I wake up and think "I HAVE to log on today!" That doesn't mean I don't recommend it. Its worth playing, even if only a few times. Maybe one day I'll find the patience to play the game again and try to beat it.

My Scores

Visuals: 8/10. This is a story book style game, but the backgrounds and characters are drawn so beautifully I hardly remember that they aren't moving that much. The interface is done well too... easy to see, and vibrant.

Game play: 7/10. So keep in mind I have yet to beat this game and I haven't played it as much as I have played other games. That is mainly out of frustration. Each time you 'lose' you have to start over from your save, or start over from the beginning. You build up your stats how you choose, and based on that, you might pass or fail at tasks and plots through the story. There is only so much time to build up different stats... so you'll always be lacking in something, as far as I can tell. The trick I believe is to find the right stats to level early, and then work on the late game stats as you discover them. You'll learn the story plots pretty quickly as you'll probably repeat them several times. Each time, you figure out what you need stat wise to get past that plot. Its about learning and discovery, which takes replay and time.

Replay value: 7/10. This game is ALL about the replay. You wont win without it. Each time you play, you figure out what you did wrong before and avoid it the next time. Luckily the story isn't -too- linear and when you replay, you might take a different path than the first time and get some new story. So its still entertaining to replay, even if it gets frustrating after a few losses.

Price: Its only $10 USD and goes on sale sometimes, so for amount of content and game play it gives you, I think the price is perfectly reasonable.

Recommendation: Good. It might not be the right game for everyone. Its a bit on the 'cute' side, it can get repetitive, and its not high action. If you like to read though, or build stats... I think you could enjoy this one.

Comments

Popular Posts