Anime Review: Wedding Peach

Wedding Peach


I am a big fan of anime, whether it be newer things like Sword Art Online and Death Note, or older things like Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. Wedding Peach had been on my list of things to watch for some time, but I couldn't bring myself to binge it for a long while. Now that my computer is acting up and I can't game anymore, I figured it was a good time for anime. So I sat down, and over the next few days I binged on some Wedding Peach. It is a magical girl anime that was on around the same time as Sailor Moon. Funny enough though, you can STRONGLY see that the people who made it were big fans of Sailor Moon. Influences from Sailor Moon were seen all over the anime... going even as far as some of the items looking almost identical if you pause on them at the right moment. As a huge fan of Sailor Moon, I honestly didn't mind this. I thought it was cute and comical to see all the easter eggs.

Now onto the show itself. When I first started it... I had a really hard time pushing forward. I found it more on the corny side than on the quality side. Despite this though, I did keep watching. I'm glad I did. While it wouldn't be in my top ten favorites of all time... it turned out better than I originally expected. It even did a few things better than Sailor Moon in my opinion, such as visible battle injuries and ripped outfits. It always frustrated me when the Sailor Senshi would go through a giant battle and come out only looking a little dirty... lol. Wedding Peach also had some heart felt and serious moments which was a breath of fresh air amid all its other corniness. By the end, I'd really gotten to know the characters and their struggles... which I appreciated.

Some of the things that bothered me about the anime however was the strong wedding theme over-done. Like Sailor Moon, their transformation sequences were too frequent and too long... made worse by the fact they had 2 stages of it. I don't even remember if they explained any benefit to not just jumping into the second stage from the start. The special items/attacks they acquire later on is better, and in Wedding Peach DX their transformations are MUCH improved (sadly for only 4 episodes though.)

I do like the biblical aspect of this anime which was missing/cut out from the original Sailor Moon sadly. This anime was not afraid to go straight for Angels vs Demons. Sailor Moon's biblical influences were removed for the most part in the transition from the manga to the anime... for example how it explains people from the moon were forbidden from interacting with people of the earth. So I was grateful that Wedding Peach was not afraid to dive into this full force with no fear of critics.

So all in all, I enjoyed the anime and wish it could have been longer. Perhaps we'll get a reboot of it one day like we've been seeing with a lot of older anime. I'd watch a reboot. Would I ever claim it as one of my favorites? No. It was a bit TOO corny for my liking, but I still gave it a chance and I don't regret it. If you like the magical girl genre and don't mind some corny, then you might want to give it a try. After all, its back when the genre was still newer and can be seen now as one of the 'founder' animes of the genre.

Comments

Popular Posts